Tuesday, April 5, 2011

[Martin's Musings] Flight of the Valkyries



Hay, all!

You'll come to expect, and tolerate, my wackiness. I spend most of my time looking for the weird and the wonderful in terms of army lists. I test drive them on Vassal, and they either Ca-pwn, or crash and burn. But it's a learning experience! And it's always great to try something new, right? I'm not going to get into list-building philosophy too much, but for me, it starts with an image. Some sort of idea that grabs my imagination, and then turn it into a list. In this case? Rather than put it into words, have a video.
Aaand... embedding disabled on request. I know, I know, clicking is manual labour. Apologies to our US viewers; the video won't work. Search "Flight of the Valkyries" for a suitable alternative.



-

Lord Commissar (Drop Regiment) 90
Power Weapon

Elysian Platoon Command Squad (5#) 35

Elysian Infantry Squad (10#) 60

Elysian Infantry Squad (10#) 60

Elysian Special Weapons Squad (6#) 55
3 Flamers

Elysian Special Weapons Squad (6#) 55
3 Flamers

Elysian Special Weapons Squad (6#) 55
3 Flamers

Elysian Veteran Squad (10#) 140
3 Meltaguns, Grenadiers

Elysian Veteran Squad (10#) 140
3 Meltaguns, Grenadiers

Elysian Veteran Squad (10#) 140
3 Meltaguns, Grenadiers

Valkyrie 110
Heavy Bolters

Valkyrie 110
Heavy Bolters

Valkyrie 110
Heavy Bolters

Vendetta Squadron (2#) 280
Heavy Bolters

Vendetta Squadron (2#) 280
Heavy Bolters

Vendetta Squadron (2#) 280
Heavy Bolters

Total: 2,000

Models: 74

Vehicles: 9 

Firepower: More than enough!

-

The SWSs are in the Valkyries, and each Vendetta squadron holds a Meltavets squad and either the PCS or a PIS. Turn 1, the Vendettas make a flat-out scout move. They deploy the Meltavets, and then fall back, keeping the PCS and PISs on board. They make their way to objectives, and sit above them; one Vendetta per squadron is scoring thanks to the Platoon Squads inside. The SWSs hold back until late in the game, when they can rush forwards, and flush enemy squads from objectives.

Firepower, you ask? More than enough, I say. 18 Twin-Linked Lascannons, 18 Heavy Bolters, 12 Deathstrike Missiles, 9 Meltaguns, 9 Flamers. And all mounted on, or inside, skimmer transports!

Having test driven the FotV List on Vassal, I can assure you it's hellafun to play. There are some 'musts' when it comes to play style, however. You've got to be aggressive. Flat-outing is where it's at T1. The 4+ Cover it awards you is invaluable. Equally, having all 9 of the Valkyries/Vendettas down there on T1 is, IMO, the way to go. I originally toyed with the idea of keeping the SWSs in reserve, so as to preserve them for mid-to-late game, where they could come in and flush enemies off objectives. However, upon testing, I found it more valuable to have them all on the board. This gives an opponent more to shoot at, and so his fire is dispersed; again, invaluable if you want to keep those birds flying.

There are two logistical problems that make it unlikely I'll ever see this army through, though. Both stem from the size of the Valkyries and Vendettas. The first is transportation; I'd need 9 Kaiser Multicases to lug them all about. There's the option of magnetising the wings, in an attempt to save space, but the army would still likely require 5 Kaiser Multicases. The second is the challenge of fitting 9 Valkyrie chassis onto the table, in deployment. Assuming we're deploying along the long table edges, I reckon I could narrowly fit them all in. Quarters would be a headache, and short table edges an absolute nightmare. I'd be forced to shove everything into reserve, and then come on outflanking. Alternatively, I can leave the SWSs and their Valkyries in reserve, since they're not needed until the game's nearing its end.

It's a shame, that. Still, won't stop me having a blast with it on Vassal with 'em!  

No comments:

Post a Comment