Friday, April 27, 2012

Adepticon 2012: A weekend of tournaments!

As I am sure a bunch of you already know from other sources, I switched gears this year at Adepticon and participated in tournaments all 3 days. 40k championships on Friday, WFB on Saturday, and the Team tournament on Sunday. Long weekend, not much sleep!

Normally, I do lots of hobby seminars, the painting contest, and stay up in the hotel room painting all sorts of other projects. I have not seen anything at Adepticon since 2007, so I figured I would try out some tournaments! I did the WFB Championships in 2010, so I had some idea of what I was in for :-)

My original 40k army was Dark Eldar, but the last 8 months had one disaster after another, claiming weeks, if not months, of painting time. Plus, the army is so elaborate, I would have had to repaint everything had I rushed it into service! So, I switched to Grey Knights, since I had a good chunk of it already finished.

I had to create some new minis, namely psykers, Death Cult Assassins, and other retinue figures. I also had to make an army board a day before!

Photobucket

Here are a few of the specially made figures, such as this Coteaz...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And some psykers made from Empire Flagellants:

Photobucket

Photobucket.

I needed an Inquisitor in terminators armor with a psycannon!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are my three objective markers:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Over the next week or so, I will be posting numerous threads to the Blog at wappellious.blogspot.com of all the custom made figures that went into the army. You can also see the thread about the tournament itself and the making of the army board on the blog as well.

Speaking of the tournament, I did manage to win Best Appearance! I was very happy, since there were 246 armies there as competition! I tied for Player's Choice as well. I thought there was a good chance I cull pull it off, since my terminator squad won Gold for Squad at Games Day last year (that is in the White Dwarf this month, ironically!).

Photobucket

The prizes were really great for all the tournaments... you can see that Oliver, the Inquisitorial War Monkey has claimed the 40k stuff for himself:

Photobucket

After playing in a lot of WFB tournaments over the years, the 40k tournament seemed far more relaxed. Warhammer already has a lot of obscure rules (and even an extra phase to each turn), but the newest edition has created even more chaos in interpreting the rules. So many complicated and contradictory situations arise, I got the feeling that I played seven WFB games under completely different rules systems. Other players expressed that same thought. It's just the nature of the beast. I hope that 6th edition 40k does not get too crazy.

I will post about the other tournaments in the coming days! I managed to win Best Appearance in the WFB Championships, and nearly pulled off the same feat with the Civil War Dwarfs. Yes, you heard that right:-)



2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the win you got my vote, your army was pretty awesome to see in person. I look forward to your posts about it and the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. always good to hear about people taking their gaming to the next step... or in this case three. It is always good to see the emperors forces crust the mutant, the alien, and the heretic!

    ReplyDelete